24 May 2011

Topman - The Swim Project

The Swim Project by Topman window display
Johnathan Saunders
Todd Selby
Topman Design

Now I might be a bit of the mark here as it's a little known fact about me is that I can't swim, but if I was going to learn I would need some, right? Every year or so Topman get a bunch of designers involved with their ongoing project, each time they pick an item of menswear and the designers go away and create their own take on it. Past projects include, sunglasses, white t-shirt and black trousers. This time around it's Swim shortsTopman have got a quality pack of designers onboard including Gary Card, Todd Selby (of The Selby), Cassette Playa, Johnathan Saunders, Bernhard Willhelm and their own Topman design team.

The main reason why I got quite excited about this projects is because Gary Card is involved, as well as designing a pair of shorts he has created the window display at the Oxford Street store. Gary Card does everything, his work gets everywhere and he even got to design his own Swatch watch. I've featured him before on the blog, I seriously can't get enough of his bonkers and super create ideas. If you haven't heard of him just pick of a copy of any fashion magazine and you will be sure to props or sets his has created.

On a similar note here's some swim shorts I picked in H&M today, just incase I do decide to take the plunge. Not bad for £7.99:


See the full range at Topman

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous22:07

    Gary really did a great job on the window display! I love the whole surreal element, really fun and I'm sure it causes a lot of attention. I would say Todd Selby's design is perhaps my favourite of the bunch! It's Probably that aspect of playfulness which I really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that's such a cool window display! I love the pattern on the Jonathan Saunders pair! :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love printed swim shorts. They make swimming extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Todd Selby's swim shorts are just great :------D I couldn't help laughing at them a little bit. So cute I must say. And that window display is also fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Jonathan Saunders print. I want it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The widow is brilliant!! I like all the shorts designs too - in fact anything that isnt Speedos is a good thing in my book ;-)

    Yep I from Manchester - which really seems to shock people, they all think Im a Londoner till their her my proper Northen accent !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like em!! and the designed ones are very cool...wonder who will be sporting the flower ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah gary card is pretty genius.and the cat shorts are so cute. its the sort of thing that you find ugly but amazing at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting project. thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haa, this is amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judging by the comments I'll be fighting with the ladies for the cat shorts! Oh why is that not surprising to me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun window display. As you have bought new swimming trunks I take it you are going on holiday. Good luck with the swimming if you do decide to jump-in. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice! I'm kind of wondering if anyone owns the cat ones?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a shame I don't really swim, but I have a hard time picking between the Saunders and Selby ones! By far one of the more interesting projects they've come out with as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was looking for those bicycle shorts here in manila but topman here doesn't sell them. :(

    nouveauskin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like those bicycle shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If these don't get you in the water then I don't know what. Actually, I want some to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. About time someone created some great beach shorts for guys.
    I spent an afternoon looking for some for the hubs and turned up zilch. But eventually found some in zara man. Kind of short and striped, and very 60's. I missed the gingham ones though. They're definitely beachworthy!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous22:06

    Gotta love a man who'd be prepared to wear those cat print trunks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I call dibs on the floral JS pair! Truly epic!

    www.RGratzVM.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. whoooooooooooooooa, those cat shorts need to become part of my life (*thinks of how to style men's swimming trunks*)

    Btw, huge congrats on all the uni work which looks amazing, and on being finished. Hope you've been celebrating!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment. Please leave your URL so we can visit your site.