14 Jul 2011

Glasgow: Part 2 via Edinburgh

Right, this is the final part of our Scotland trip. We jumped on a train from Glasgow Central and arrived in Edinburgh just over an hour later. 
When we got there the first thing to do was figure out how you navigate the place. It's the only city I've been to where there's a uber old castle overlooking the highstreet, very charming stuff.
 View from the highstreet. This really would be a nice place to work, lunch times would never be boring
 Pulling shapes with shadows
The plan was to have a nosey around some shops and grab something to eat before we tackled a tour of the castle. This was my idea and a massive mistake, we we're knackered by the time we walked up what seemed like a perpectual hill which led to the castle 

Pretty amazing looking fountain in the park, which surrounded the lower part of the castle. We chilled out here for a bit with an iced coffee
The way up to the main event was a total tourist trap, this t-shirt certainly grabbed my attention
 View from the top. Edinburgh is by far the most beautiful looking city I have ever been to, most of the places I've visited tend to be more on the modern side. It made for a great change. Shame we missed the annual Tattoo
This one reminds me of old family holiday photographs you see
It was quite a weird feeling looking through this vantage point, it was hard not to think about what would have happened here in the past. This was one of my highlights actually, this places really does have history coming out of its ears
 The business end of Mons Meg
The best view in town, you could see right down onto the highstreet which we stood on about 3 hours previous (Zoom in to see the detail)

The city was riddled with history and I only wish we had more time to explore and soak up the sights. The plan was to go to the the Grassmarket after the castle but we were so knackered we just ended up going for a pizza and beer. All in all it was one of my favourite days in a long time. Glasgow and Edinburgh couldn't be more different, both great but in very different ways.

In other news, the end of uni is upon us. I graduate this Friday, big day so I'm told!

12 comments:

  1. Ah, shame to miss you! You should have asked for tips! Glad you found it beautiful and that the sun shone (at least when you took these pics!) for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful city. it tells such a beautiful story. living there will be truly blissful. thanks for sharing these photos.

    nouveauskin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to visit Edinburgh - especially after reading the Ian Rankin books... Now I want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous pictures, I'm so jealous! Now I'm craving pizza and beer :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures makes me want to plan a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The missus looks gorgeous in these, and great pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Edinburgh only 2 months ago for a wedding. I agree it is a wonderful city. Lovey your view of it. Great post Mat. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Edinburgh looks stunning! I still don't know why I never visited Scotland when I lived in the UK :(. That last shot is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That photo of the castle and fountain is immense. Looks like one heck of a place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous20:24

    Whoa! The views really are something else, I'd love a view like that from my bedroom window! I'll deffo have to take a trip to Edinburgh in the near future, I never understand why people want to go to Benidorm and such places when we've got wonderful sights here to see and explore!

    You're right about the expression of Quinn's blood head, my lecturuer told me that the first one that was made accidentally smashed upon collection into a museum! I think he's made a view, which would be pretty cool to see in a row showing the process of aging.

    There's some real weird artists out there, I remember hearing of one who placed syringes in himself and walked naked in front of an audience down a platform leaving his blood dripping down his body. I can't for the life of me think of his name though, I'll have to get back to you with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. more wonderful pictures. i love the perspective in the second one and the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived in Edinburgh for a few months during the summer, a couple years back. I lived right near Grassmarket, the whole city's a pretty great place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment. Please leave your URL so we can visit your site.