11 Aug 2011

Inspiration - Carl Kleiner

Golden Ratio & Friends
Cafe M - Beirut

Finding stylist, photographer and all round creative bod Carl Kleiner couldn't have come at a better time. Yesterday I was wearing a waterproof jacket and hiking boots, I got soaked at approximately 2pm and still hadn't dried out when I eventually got back home in the early hours of this morning. I know British summers are notoriously sporadic and "average" but this takes the biscuit. A couple of good things that came out of it though were that it seemed to put a lot of the rioters off venturing outside and I also had ttime to browse for some inspiration.

If Kleiner's clever and playful work doesn't cheer you up on days like these I don't know what will. The projects featured here are "Golden Ratio & Friends", which was created simply by folding various types of paper. The second, "Cafe M - Beirut" is just what we all tried as kids, sticking fruit together to make faces! The Swedish photographer works closely with stylish Evelina Bratell. Together they produced the super popular Ikea cookbook Homemade is Best, which was all over the web a while back.

So, did it work? Have I cheered you up on this gloomy day? All images from his website.

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:17

    The food faces have most certainly cheered me up! They have a lovely sense of character which is really charming. I wouldn't have thought it was folded paper in the first few images, on first glance it looked like it had to done on the computer. Really impressive. I might try something like that to add on my wall!

    I remember seeing lot's of those ikea food images on the web not too long ago. Loved how organised it all was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those food faces are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It worked for me, I'm a sucker for bright colours. Love the food faces too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the hipster triangle re-invented. Although I do quite like them and the fact that they're made of paper. Looks like sugar paper and I love a bit of sugar paper. I can imagine they'd be much more impressive IRL where you could see the folds.

    The food faces are definitely cheering me up ! I'm making pizza in a bit, I might take some inspiration from this and make pizza faces !! Yaayyyy. Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. how funny! i lined up a post about carl kleiner! his work cheered me up too! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going oh nice at the 1st 4 than happiness reigned for the last 3. Love em. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. brilliant! I really like the geometric ones.. but the food is pretty clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous23:15

    Also have you seen this website? it really cheers me up when i feel a bit blah about creative careers.

    http://www.the-50.org/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first four remind me a tad of art class back in high school, but those were good times, so the reminder is appreciated :)

    Lovely food faces - they really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Zebra is a hoot! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely feel cheered. By the fruit faces, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the geometric shapes, perfect to decorate a room with! and the fruit faces are hilarious and creative.

    ~bumbling bee

    ReplyDelete
  13. The vegetable sculptures are brilliant! All gloom has heretofore been banished.

    http://thefoolishaesthete.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous21:54

    Beautiful work of art. The colors are very lively. Love it.
    http://www.fashionmechic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i'm so glad i came across your blog. these are great! i'm feeling very inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  16. i always wish i was more artistic and cultured after reading your blog. well, i'm off to an exhibition at somerset house tomorrow, so meh :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. awsome inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the golden ratio & friends photos are just brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha, brilliant! Those food faces have certainly cheered me up a bit. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'takes the biscuit' hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. the last pic is so funny!

    jos xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. the food styling is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the geometric ones. I love bright colours and I love triangles so these are pretty much perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You cheered me up during Jury Duty... Jesus being American sucks. Having wifi and access to these nuggets of joy does not!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment. Please leave your URL so we can visit your site.